Bless This House O’ Lord

brockpraying_300x400

Greetings everyone, I hope this message finds you well!

A quick update that I went to closing on the ‘new’ (1950’s) house yesterday. When I was finished signing and signing and signing, and having another truly positive experience with not only my real estate agents Dayna and Kerry, but also with my mortgage lender, Greg, I also had the privilege of meeting the prior owners, Jen and Kate and what a neat experience that was. I hope our paths all cross again and again.

When all was said and done, Brock and I drove “home” and we went inside, knelt down and prayed this prayer:

Bless This House, o Lord
Bless this house, o Lord, we pray.
Make it safe by night and day.
Bless these walls so firm and stout,
Keeping want and trouble out.
Bless the roof and chimney tall,
Let thy peace lie over all.
Bless the doors that they may prove
Ever open to joy and love.
Bless the windows shining bright,
Letting in God’s heavenly light.
Bless the hearth a-blazing there,
With smoke ascending like a prayer.
Bless the people here within…
Keep them pure and free from sin.
Bless us all, that one day, we
May be fit, O lord, to dwell with Thee.

We decided to not obsess that we don’t actually have a chimney or hearth, and trust instead that God can edit where necessary!

Please know this same prayer is also my prayer for each of you; may your home be a blessing for you and all who join you there.

Thanks for traveling this journey with me.

• Janet Rife says:

Congratulations Chuck – Brock looks like he’s in prayer in the photo!

• Barbara C. says:

WHen I worked in the Balkans, the blessing of Patriarch Nickolaj hung above the main entry of every Serbian home I entered, and more than a few Bosianc and Croatian homes as well: God bless those who come in to this house; Protect those who go out from it; and give peace to those who live here. Amen. My wishes for you in you new home.

• joan skiscim says:

I am sending ou a house blessing given to us by the pastor of the church where we were married in 1952. We have carried this with us through 9 moves with the USAF and has always hung in the kitchen

God bless the corners of this house .and be the lintel blest;
    And bless the hearth and bless the board and bless bless each place of rest
    and bless each door that opens wide to stranger as to kin;
    And bless each crystal window pane that lets the starlight in;
    And bless the rooftree overhead and every sturdy wall,
    the peace of man, the peace of God, the peace of love on all.

• Kay says:

Congratulations on your home purchase. May you enjoy many happy years in your home. Very happy for you.

• Marianne says:

Woohoo!! So happy for you:) And Brock looks quite pleased with his new digs!!

• Helaire says:

Congratulations on your new home! Sending blessings to you and Brock and wishing you much happiness.

• Darlene Spurlock says:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Love the Prayer. “May your home be bright with cheer, May your cares all disappear, May contentment come your way, And may laughter (& barking) fill your day!” God Bless you and the Brockster.

• MJ says:

Couldn’t be happier for you and Brock. There’s no place like Home…..

• Ann Hyland says:

Welcome Home, Chuck and Brock!
    Ann & Jay

• Sean says:

Congrats Chuck!

May the walls protect with love…l
    The rooms full of compassion…
    AND
    May the toilets be filled with toilet paper!

• Mia Jones says:

What a big step! Congrats to you and Brock. Although he seems a bit unsure in the photo.

• Michelle Sullivan says:

Wishing you many years of happiness in your new home. Peace and God’s blessings to you, always. Michelle

• Linda Berg says:

I won’t lie to you–at times home ownership can sometimes be stressful. However, at the end of the day, all will be well and you and Brock will be so happy to have a place to call home. Much happiness and happy gardening! Congratulations!

• Ruth Bilodeau says:

Chuck, what a wonderful journey. Thanks for sharing. We are all so happy for you! This is really exciting! God Bless You!

• ann says:

My daughter and her daughter lived in a house like yours for several years, and though they have moved twice since, it is still the “house of her heart.” Hope it will continue to be yours.
    Thanks for your writings. I rely on them.

• Bill Zaccagnino says:

Congratulations to you and Brock. I hope you have many pleasant years in the house.

• Roberta Jennings says:

Used to love to sing that in church!

• Peter and Judy says:

May you find much happiness in your new home. Congratulations, Home Owner!

• Kathleen Young says:

Chuck, welcome back to the neighborhood. I understand we may be meeting you in the grocery store.

• Fred Blycher says:

Congratulations Chuck, we’re excited for you. I’m sure Dan would love to put a fireplace in for you! It was nice catching up, we need to do it more often. I will try and get by again soon.
    Fred

• Rose & Bud says:

Wonderful, wonderful – may God continue to bless you and Brock in your new home. We are so happy for you.