“If …”

sunset_jmaas_630x275

A dear friend of mine sent me this message she saw on Facebook, and I wanted to share it with all of you:

Posted on Fr. James Martin’s Facebook:

This “prayer” made me smile at a charitable Dinner on Saturday. Thanks to Msgr. Michael T. Mannion of the Diocese of Camden for passing it along. (I’ve since found out it predates him!)

If you can start the day without caffeine,
If you can be cheerful, ignoring aches and pains,
If you can resist complaining and boring people with your troubles,
If you can eat the same food everyday and be grateful for it,
If you can understand when loved ones are too busy to give you time,
If you can overlook when people take things out on you when,
through no fault of yours, something goes wrong,
If you can take criticism and blame without resentment,
If you can face the world without lies and deceit,
If you can conquer tension without medical help,
If you can relax without liquor,
If you can sleep without the aid of drugs,
If you can do all these things…

Then you are probably the family dog.

Peace everyone,

Your comments and questions are welcome and will be posted online after moderation. If you have a personal message, please feel free to use the Contact Me form.

Haaa! I was behind in reading your blog…and this was worth every moment of catching up! Love it! Thanks my friend!

• Marianne says:

So, so true:)

• Larry D says:

Love it

• Jim Carney says:

This great poem reminds me of the story of a man and his dog who died together and found themselves walking down a road in the next world. They came to a beautiful, gold and pearl encrusted gate with glorious light and verdant fields beyond. On the gate was a sign that said, “No dogs allowed.” The man and his dog walked on.

After awhile they came to a rather rickety looking wooden gate blocking the way down a meandering lane that disappeared in the distance. There was a sign on the gate that said, “If your dog will vouch for you, you may come in.” Before his hand left the gate, the man felt a burst of overwhelming love and joy that totally transformed his surroundings into a beauty he could not even have imagined. The dog only smiled and trotted ahead. His job was done.

• Sue says:

Love this! Thanks for sharing Chuck 🙂

• Velvet says:

Hahaha! Gracie & Ray agree.

• TERRY says:

LOVE OUR SPENCER ….. XO

• Bonnie Fairbank says:

I love this prayer and so many times it would be great to stop and pet your dog for their LOVE HA This is great!!!