Reception Service

bishop2

Thank you one and all who joined me for Saturday’s Reception Service as I was welcomed into the Episcopal Church as a priest.

Thank you to the Bishops, staff and leadership of the Episcopal Diocese of Virginia, including Peggy Hombs who welcomed me from the start, to Bishop Ted Gulick for his inspirational presiding at the service (click here for sermon), to Rev. John Baker and the good, good  people of St. Aidan’s Episcopal Church who offered me a church-home, to my mentor Rev. Jonathan Bryan and his wonderful wife and co-mentor, Judy Bryan for your insight and guidance and love of all things-Episcopalian, to my family who have always supported me and my sometimes admittedly unpredictable journey, and to my dear childhood and lifelong friend Erin Sumser and her family for giving me and Brock a loving home and safe place to land during this time of transition.  I am grateful to you all.

For those who came, I am so grateful for your presence. For those who were unable to attend I know you were with us in spirit, and I know of your love and prayers. I look forward to sharing some photos with you soon.

Some of you may be wondering what is a Reception Ceremony, and why it was necessary?

I was first ordained a priest in the Roman Catholic Church on May 19, 1990. Throughout my 21 years of faithful fruitful ministry I discerned that God was calling me to a different pasture of His vineyard to minister in the Episcopal Church. It took me a long time to figure out just how or when to journey into the Episcopal Church, but when I finally made the decision to do so, I began a formal transition process which has been both life-giving and confirming. Because I was already validly ordained a priest, the Episcopal Church recognizes this, so I was not re-Ordained on Saturday, February 9, 2013, but received as a priest in the Episcopal Church.

What’s next?  I have begun the process of interviewing at churches which are looking for a rector. I have already learned a lot in this interviewing process and to be honest – I kind of dig it, though I wouldn’t want to make a career out of interviewing. I know God has a church in mind for me, but please keep me and the process in your prayers.

With God all things are possible and in the Episcopal Church all are truly welcome. If you find yourself happy where you are in your relationship with your God and your church, blessed are you, I am so happy for you.  If you find yourself seeking to be part of a community such as the Episcopal Church, know that you will be warmly welcomed just as I have been.

Thank you for being with me along this life’s journey. You’ve made it all the more special.

Thank you most of all to God, who loves each one of us unconditionally and without exception.

Peace and love,

• Danny Donovan says:

Chuck,

I’m just catching up on the news and so grateful for who you are and whose you are. You have made such a tremendous impact on my life and I am confident that our gracious God who began this work in you so long ago will continue to bear great fruit through you.

Danny Donovan

• Audrey says:

Chuck, I am so filled with gratitude that you have found a welcoming new home and ministry in the Episcopal church, you have been and will continue to be in my prayers as you journey on. Know that you have the support and love and prayers of all of us. Peace and God bless.

• Loyes says:

It was an honor and a privilege to watch you being received into the Episcopal Church as a priest yesterday. You looked so content and at peace. I’ve known from the time i first met you that God has wanted you to serve and I don’t think he/she cares where as long as you do and you have so many gifts to bring to that service. I recognized so many folks from St. B’s and GS yesterday who obviously want to continue to support your journey, as do I. Please call on me if I can help in any way. Love and prayers, Loyes

• Pat says:

Chuck, we are so proud OF you, so happy FOR you, and so delighted to have been able to participate in your reception ceremony. We will be praying that God leads you to the right congregation and the right congregation finds you. Yesterday, on the eve of the transfiguration, “the skin of [your] face was shining” just as Moses’ face shone when he came down from Mt. Sinai. Many blessings on you!

• Peg says:

You were in my thoughts, heart and prayers all day yesterday. I am so happy for you and the peace and love you have found in the Episcopal church. I will continue to pray that the right parish emerges. I’ll personally let them know how fortunate they are! God bless. peg

• Kelly says:

Congratulations, Chuck. May God be with you always. What ever congregation gets you will be blessed.

• Rose says:

As I watched yesterday was filled with so much joy for you embarking on the next phase of your life’s journey. So glad also to have found a welcoming home in the Episcopal Church at St. Aidan’s.

• Jerri and Ben says:

Dear Chuck, SharingYour insights about your journey and your continual blessing of our journeys has always been a gift we have treasured. We are sad we missed this wonderful reception but again shout hoorah !! For the freedom and joy you experience in your new priestly role. We hope to see you soon! Hugs and prayers and best wishes, Ben and Jerri